(Moncton, May 28, 2020) – The YMCA of Greater Moncton – scheduled to reopen tomorrow following closures due to COVID-19 – will now reopen next Friday, June 5 after a change in Government of New Brunswick protocols.
“We completely support the government’s decision and will continue to do everything we can to ensure the safety of our members, volunteers and staff,” said YMCA of Greater Moncton CEO Zane Korytko.
The YMCA of Greater Moncton, which closed temporarily March 14, was planning to reopen at 6 a.m. tomorrow. Korytko notes that the Y’s plan will now simply be pushed back by one week. (The YMCA of Greater Moncton’s Child Care Centre reopened May 19 as per provincial legislation. Some YMCA community programs such as ReConnect have continued to operate.)
“We’ll be communicating with our members to bring them up to speed on the change in the reopening date,” said Korytko. “We apologize for any inconvenience, but we must adhere to provincial health regulations.”
The YMCA had already communicated to its members and the public that when it reopens, it will do so with modifications to scheduling as well as additional procedures in place to ensure safety. The modifications and procedures – which will last for two weeks after the reopening and possibly longer – will include:
- Access to the facility will be limited to YMCA members.
- There will be reduced hours to allow cleaning staff more time to sanitize the facilities. The Y will be open from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.
- Temperature and health screenings will be required upon entering the facility.
- Floor markings throughout the facility and equipment set-up will allow for proper physical distancing.
- All gym equipment must be cleaned by members with sanitizing spray and disposable paper towels before and after each use.
- Locker rooms, showers, saunas, hot tubs and towel service will not be accessible. Universal bathrooms will be available.
- Pre-registration will be required for group fitness classes, with a one-class daily limit. Members can pre-register through an online portal that can be accessed via the Y’s website www.ymcamoncton.ca.
- There will be no group aquatics classes. Use of the therapy pool and lanes in the main pool will be by reservation via the online portal noted above.
- There will be no child or youth programs until further notice. This includes swim lessons and childminding.
- The Y’s Adult Day Program and Monday program for individuals with dementia is cancelled until further notice.
- The YMCA Café is closed.
- The YMCA Community Garden will open this summer.
Korytko notes that the hold placed on membership payments during the closure will continue for two weeks after next Friday’s reopening, giving members time to survey the facility and ensure they feel safe during the initial phase of the reopening.