We’d like to give everyone an update regarding the status of our YMCA since we shuttered our health, fitness and aquatics services. As you are aware, we decided to shutter our fitness programming and facilities on January 6th in reaction to the province moving to the Orange Level. Since then, the Moncton area moved to the Red Level which was much more restrictive. As announced February 8th, the Moncton area will move back to the Orange Level. This is encouraging news for our community.
We are closely monitoring the situation and will re-evaluate our situation with the new Orange Level guidelines that the province has posted. We must balance the needs of our members to access our facilities with the need to help our community with controlling the spread of Covid-19. As you may be aware, the new variant is highly contagious and spreads easier than the original variant of Covid, and we must do our part in helping to control the spread of this virus. It is a difficult balancing act, and the leadership team is constantly discussing ways that we can offer services to our members without putting them at additional risk. Presently members have the online option for workouts through the YMCA Canada portal (www.ymcahome.ca
). Moving the Moncton area to the Orange Level is not a guarantee that we will immediately reopen our fitness facilities. The leadership team is weighing the pros and cons of reopening as well as reviewing the changes to the Orange Level that the government has updated.
Throughout this time, we have continued to offer our child care and afterschool programs as well as our community outreach programs; Reconnect, Plus One, YCan, Alternatives to Suspension and Adult Day(in Orange Level). We continue to work with our partners to improve the lives of the most disadvantaged in our community. This is a difficult time for everyone, and I know that our staff and members are anxious to get back to the Y. There is a light at the end of this dark tunnel, we know the province has started to distribute the vaccine and we are hopeful that this will result in our community returning to Yellow and eventually Green. As our charity reopens and recovers from the uncertainty caused by COVID-19, please consider supporting the YMCA of Greater Moncton today. To learn about opportunities to give, visit http://moncton.ymca.ca/en/Opportunities-to-Give
I’m asking for patience and understanding during these very trying times. We do not take any decision lightly and are trying to do the right thing for our community. Further communication will follow regarding our decision in the next few days.
If you have any questions or comments, you can reach me directly via email or phone. Please be safe and take the necessary precautions to ensure the safety of your loved ones.
Chief Executive Officer | Directeur General