(Moncton, March 11, 2020) – The YMCA of Greater Moncton is open as usual while taking precautionary measures to maintain a healthy and safe environment for members, program participants and the general public.
A media report published today incorrectly stated that all YMCA swim and gym sessions have been cancelled.
“As a precaution, we cancelled swim and gym sessions in our licensed Early Learning Centres but our pools, fitness centre and other programs are operating as usual,” says YMCA of Greater Moncton CEO Zane Korytko. “We are closely monitoring all public health agencies to stay on top of the latest regarding Covid-19 and implementing any required health and safety measures based on the recommendation of international, national and provincial authorities.”
Steps currently being undertaken by the YMCA of Greater Moncton include:
- Increasing health and cleaning protocols throughout the facility
- Restricting traffic between the main section of the YMCA and the Early Learning Centres, and following the advisories of the Department of Education and Early Childhood Development, Educational Services Division
- Providing communication to staff, members, program participants and visitors via posters, website (www.ymcamoncton.ca) and social media (Facebook, Twitter and Instagram) about recommended health protocols such as:
- Staying home if you or a family member is sick
- Wiping down machines and equipment with disinfectant before and after use
- Washing hands before and after entering program areas, after using equipment or before sending a child to a program
- Covering a cough or sneeze with a tissue or elbow and disposing of tissues immediately
- Avoid touching your face
“The YMCA recognizes that this situation is constantly evolving and is committed to staying informed and implementing any required measures to prevent the spread of illness at the YMCA,” says Koryko.